Copyright and Entertainment-PPT by Dr. Kalyan C. Kankanala at GNLU
This presentation was delivered by Dr. Kalyan C. Kankanala at GNLU as a part of the entertainment law course offered for LLB students. The presentation covers:
• Introduction to copyright law and philosophy of copyright law;
• Copyrightability – Idea/Expression Dichotomy, Ideas and Expressions, Originality, Modicum of Creativity – tests;
• Abstraction of expressions from ideas, public domain works, facts, common scenes, concepts, themes, etc;
• Copyrightable Subject Matter – Works protected;
• Rights granted to each type of work, and differences in rights;
• Term of Copyright;
• Ownership – Employer-Employee, Commissioned works – Works for Hire;
• Assignment, Licensing and Royalty Sharing with respect to literary and musical works in cinematographic films;
• Moral Rights;
• Performers Rights;
• Broadcasting Rights;
• Types of licenses – voluntary, statutory and compulsory; and
• Collective Rights Management and Copyright Societies.
With the help of cases, examples and multi-media Dr. Kalyan’s presentation gives insights into various facets of copyright law and its role in the entertainment business.
About Dr. Kalyan Kankanala
Dr. Kalyan C. Kankanala manages the largest new age Intellectual Property Firm, BananaIP Counsels, headquartered at Bangalore, India. In addition to helping clients maximize business value from intellectual assets, Dr. Kalyan also consults for United Nations Industrial Development Organization (UNIDO), and teaches at premier institutions such as National Law School of India University, Bangalore, and Indian Institute of Management, Bangalore (IIMB).