Senior Partner, Chief Patent Officer (Patent Drafting, Patent Prosecution and Patent Portfolio Management)
Mr. Somashekar is a senior partner at BananaIP Counsels. He heads the Automotive and Mechanical Patent Practice at the Firm. He worked with a US Patent Firm (Hauptman Ham, LLP) for about four years before joining Brain League, which is now BananaIP. For about three years, he worked with United Nations Industrial Development organization (UNIDO) to help SMEs in Machine tool, Plastic and Foundry Sectors protect and commercialize their IP. Some of Somashekar’s clients include Mahindra and Mahindra, Mahindra Electric (earlier Reva), Eureka Forbes, Triton Valves and Titan. He holds a Masters in Intellectual Property from Franklin Pierce (UNH School of Law), USA, and Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering. He is a Registered Patent Agent in India.
Somashekar teaches Patent Law and Practice at National Law School of India University, Bangalore, and has authored a book on Patent Law for use by the students at the Law School. He also delivers invited lectures at IIMB from time to time.
IP Generation, IP Protection and IP Audits in Mechanical and Related Arts, Patent Prosecution
Books & Publications
Patent Law and Practice, PGDIPR, Mr. Somashekar et. al., National Law School of India University, Publication (2011)
- Patent prosecution
- Role of patents in SMEs
Professional Affiliations and Memberships
Registered as a Patent Agent at the Indian Patent and Trademark Office
- 10+ years of hands on IP services ranging from patent research, drafting, filing and prosecution in various countries
- Subject matter expertise in patent laws and rules of the US, India and Europe
- Worked in a leading patent firm in the US
- Worked with large technology-driven businesses, premier research/educational institutions, SMEs and also startups on patent projects
- Expertise in conducting Patent Examiner Interview
- Helped the UN organizations develop and implement IP initiatives in Machine Tools, Foundry, and Plastics sectors