- Nationally recognized automotive, mechanical and manufacturing patent agent/attorney.
- Has significant experience of working with a leading US Patent Firm and United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO).
- Seasoned patent drafting and prosecution expert for global manufacturing and automotive companies.
Somashekar Ramakrishna is a Senior Partner at BananaIP Counsels, a premier IP Law Firm headquartered at Bangalore. He heads the Mechanical, Manufacturing, Automotive, and related patent practice of the firm. Before joining the firm, he worked with a well know US Patent Law Firm. Som has extensive experience in drafting and prosecuting patent applications filed with Indian Patent Office and US Patent Office. He works with clients such as Mahindra and Mahindra, Toyota, Mahindra Electric, Eureka Forbes, Triton Valves, Titan, CMTI, and so on. Som is a qualified Mechanical Engineer and has completed his Masters Program in Intellectual Property with specialization in Patent Law from Franklin Pierce Law Center (University of New Hampshire), USA.
In addition to large Automotive, Mechanical and Manufacturing companies, Som is also very passionate about working with SMEs and was part of the team selected by UNIDO (United Nations Industrial Development Organisation) to help small and medium sized companies identify and protect their intellectual property. As a part of his work with UNIDO, Som visited more than sixty (60) companies and spent time with their founders in their shop floors to understand, document and protect intellectual property assets of the companies. SMEs in machine tools, foundry and plastics sectors benefited substantially from his advice and support, and he continues to assist several of them even after the completion of the UNIDO program.
Som enjoys working with machines, which reflects in his ability to understand complex inventions pertaining to his field. Owing to his background, experience and passion, Som connects with inventors, engineers and scientists very easily and inventors enjoy the process of patenting when they start working with him. Som’s patent expertise and ability to acquire grants through effective prosecution has helped several companies and individuals build valuable patent portfolios. His FTO opinions and patent advice have helped companies make important decisions with respect to product launches, licensing and maintenance.
Over the years, Som has performed more than hundred (100) IP audits to help companies uncover potential IP and protect the same. His IP Audit and Mining exercises have helped clients to not only enhance the volume of invention disclosures, but have also contributed to building IP culture among employees.
Som teaches at premier institutions such as National Law School of India University, Bangalore and IIM, Bangalore. He has also co-authored a book on patent law that is used as a reading material for the PG Course on IP Law at National Law School. From time to time, Som delivers invited talks at companies, conferences and inventor forums.
- 10+ years of hands on IP services ranging from patent research, drafting, filing and prosecution in various countries.
- Subject matter expertise in patent laws and rules of the US, India and Europe.
- Worked in a leading patent firm in the US.
- Worked with large technology-driven businesses, premier research/educational institutions, SMEs and also startups on patent projects.
- Expertise in conducting Patent Examiner Interview.
- Helped the UN organizations develop and implement IP initiatives in Machine Tools, Foundry, and Plastics sectors.
BOOKS & PUBLICATIONS
- Patent Law and Practice, PGDIPR, Mr. Somashekar et. al., National Law School of India University, Publication (2011)
- Patent prosecution
- Role of patents in SMEs
POSITIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Registered as a Patent Agent at the Indian Patent and Trademark Office
Have a Question for Somashekar?
drop a line!