Intellepedia IP Radio Download Post as PDFPrint this PostThis weekly...Read More
Patent Opposition, Revocation and Litigation Management
Patent opposition provides the public and interested parties, an opportunity to object to the grant of a patent. Because of the protections afforded by a patent, a patent granted in its field of operation may become a stumbling block for a business, and, sometimes, even to society at large. Successfully opposing a patent requires a deep understanding of the law and procedures. It also demands comprehensive research, a strategic approach, and skillful process management. The same skills are required to defend an opposition notice against your own patent application.
Our highly experienced team of patent attorneys draft, file and represent clients at the Indian patent office in pre- and post-grant oppositions. We work closely with clients to devise patent opposition strategies that are in line with business goals. During the process, we focus like a laser on the removal of business hindrances and devise process management tools in line with that objective. Our team specializes in converting patent oppositions into business opportunities for our clients.
More often than not, inventions that are not worthy of a patent grant, pass through the process and pose threats to businesses. These patents may be invalidated or revoked through a legal process at any time before the expiry of the patent term. Grounds for such revocation range from existence of prior art to inequitable conduct or false disclosure to the patent office. Despite the existence of a valid ground for invalidation, the task can be accomplished only through diligent research and documentation, crafty drafting and lucid presentation of the case.
From providing invalidity opinions to devising an invalidation and revocation strategy for India, USA, and other countries, to implementing the same, our team of experienced patent agents/attorneys work closely with clients and endeavor to achieve optimum results. Through our revocation support, we help clients remove patent hurdles to business and create free to operate markets in India and internationally. Our strategic opinions and detailed research help our clients make informed patent decisions.
Patent Litigation Management
Statistically, more than 99 percent of IP disputes get resolved before they get to the Court. At BananaIP, we believe that all options to resolve a dispute or problem must be considered and tried before going for litigation. Even after going to the Court, amicably settling the case might be the best business option. Keeping communication doors open and reaching out can resolve most IP and business disputes more efficiently than a full trial.
BananaIP’s Litigation Management Department offers litigation strategy and management services with the core objective of resolving intellectual property disputes for business benefit. Whatever the nature of the dispute might be, our experienced and expert team of IP attorneys will devise a strategy to resolve the issue by way of communication, reaching out and discussions. If the dispute does not get resolved, we will develop a litigation strategy and plan to not only provide speedy relief, but will also provide options at various points to amicably settle the case. We personally represent before some Courts and IP Tribunals, and work with the best lawyers to achieve the planned result before other courts.
BananaIP’s IP litigation team has over the last 15 years helped in resolving hundreds of IP disputes, and has managed about 20 litigations. We have helped clients with managing a wide variety of IP matters such as patent, copyright, and trade mark infringement cases, privacy/publicity rights violations, IP license and contractual disputes, defamation cases, traditional knowledge misappropriation issues, brand conflicts, and so on. Our team is constituted by some of the leading IP attorneys in India, who combine their expertise in law, business and technology to effectively and efficiently resolve IP problems.
- Drafting Patent Opposition
- Notice/Counter Statement
- Evidence Management
- Patent Appeals
- Patent Dispute Resolution
- Patent Settlements
- Patent Invalidity Search
- Invalidity Opinion
- Application for Revocation
- Invalidation Hearings
- Revocation Hearings
- Patent Dispute Resolution
- Patent Settlements
- Assessment of Patent Dispute/Opinion
- Strategic Patent Enforcement/Defense
- Alternative Dispute Resolution
- Patent Settlements
Why BananaIP ?
- BananaIP has a team of highly qualified patent attorneys and agents in India with extensive experience;
- The firm’s patent attorneys and agents have strong background in science, technology and law;
- The expert patent search team of BananaIP works closely with attorneys to uncover relevant prior art for invalidating or revoking a patent;
- BananaIP’s patent team is well versed in patent law, perform comprehensive patent search and legal research, and devise innovative invalidation/revocation strategies to suit clients’ business needs;
- The firm has the history of converting conflicts into business opportunities for its clients; and
- BananaIP has offices in Chennai, Mumbai, Bangalore and Hyderabad, and its experts are easily accessible to clients at the said locations.
OUR PATENT TEAM
BananaIP’s success is due to the exceptional talent, understanding, credentials and experience of its senior partners. Dr. Kalyan Kankanala, Nitin Nair, Somashekar Ramakrishna, Vinita Radhakrishnan and Sanjeeth Hegde are the firm’s core. They are what sets BananaIP apart from other IP firms or consultancies in India.
Each senior partner has carefully cultivated the expertise necessary to lead their practice areas through advanced education and qualifications; handpicked and groomed associates from the best law, technology, and management schools; and continuous quality and process improvements.
They have all held IP positions in North America, Europe, and Asia during their careers before founding BananaIP. Their collective qualifications, background and expertise are unmatched in India.
Dr. Kalyan C. Kankanala
Managing Partner & Chief IP Attorney
• Recognized among the top IP minds of India. • Has advised more than 1000 clients on IP matters. • Internationally cited IP attorney and strategist.
• Nationally recognized automotive, mechanical, and manufacturing patent agent/attorney. • Has significant experience of working with a leading US Patent Firm and United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO). • Seasoned patent drafting and prosecution expert for global manufacturing and automotive companies.
• Nationally recognized telecom, electronics, AI and big data patent agent/attorney. • Worked as patent agent and attorney for global Fortune 500 clients. • Instrumental in helping many companies mine, evaluate, protect, and commercialize patents and inventions.
• Internationally recognized life sciences, pharma and traditional medicine patent agent/attorney. • Has significant inhouse experience in helping pharma companies strategize, protect and license intellectual property. • Works with a portfolio of clients across the world on international patent strategy, filing and protection.
• A Litigator with rich experience. • Handled numerous IP and other matters. • Specializes in dispute resolution for business benefit.
Have a Question?
drop a line!