Intellepedia IP Radio Download Post as PDFPrint this PostThis weekly...Read More
Dr. Kalyan C. Kankanala
Managing Partner & Chief IP Attorney
Dr. Kalyan C. Kankanala
- Recognized among the top IP minds of India.
- Has advised more than 1000 clients on IP matters.
- Internationally cited IP attorney and strategist.
Dr. Kalyan is a well-known IP Attorney, Author, and Professor. He is the Managing Partner of BananaIP Counsels, a reputed IP Firm in India. He leads a team of highly qualified, experienced and accomplished Patent, Trademark and Copyright attorneys and agents. Under his leadership, BananaIP has assisted numerous clients protect, enforce, and commercialize patents and other IP assets in different technology domains such as automotive, electric mobility, IT, Software, AI, Electronics, Telecom, Biosciences, Entertainment, eCommerce, Manufacturing, Medical Technologies and Green Technologies. Some of BananaIP’s clients include Mahindra and Mahindra, Samsung, Sun Mobility, Muniyal, Eureka Forbes, Godrej, IITB, Dharma Productions, Ananda Audio, Toyota, PEPS and Verse.
Dr. Kalyan currently heads the IP Research, Consulting and Strategy Division of BananaIP, which helps businesses plan and implement IP strategies. Some of his Division’s services include IP Opinions and Reports, IP Mining and Audits, IP Protection Strategy, Infringement Opinions, Litigation Strategy, Commercialization and Licensing Opinions, IP Enforcement Strategy, Open-Source Opinions, IP Culture Development, and IP Valuation. Dr. Kalyan’s guidance and advice have helped several businesses build strong IP assets and gain, competitive and financial returns from their intellectual property.
Dr. Kalyan has written highly cited books on IP Law and Practice including the popular book on Indian Patent Law, published by Oxford University Press. He holds a Doctorate in Patent Law from National Law School of India University, Bangalore, and a Masters in IP, Commerce and Technology from Franklin Pierce Law Center, now UNH School of Law. Dr. Kalyan teaches courses on Intellectual Property and Business Law at premier institutions such as NLSIU, IIMB and IIMS.
As a hobby, Dr. Kalyan writes novels, and is a certified Thai Yoga Masseur. He also advocates for the rights of persons with disabilities, and is part of the Cane Foundation, a charitable trust contributing to accessibility and independent living.
- Has hands on experience in IP services ranging from patent/trademark filings to licensing and dispute resolution for a wide array of clients;
- Worked with Fortune 500 technology/knowledge driven businesses, premier research/educational institutions, SMEs, and also start-ups on a wide range of IP projects;
- Was instrumental in helping many companies move up the IP value chain through IP Audits, Strategic Consulting, Policy/Process Set up, and tailor made IP programs;
Helped UN organizations develop and implement IP initiatives in Machine Tools, Foundry, and Plastics sectors;
- Contributed to IP legislative/policy making initiatives in India;
Developed and imparted capacity building/skill building programs for more than twenty thousand corporates;
- Teaches courses on Intellectual Property, Creativity and Business Value at select educational institutions such as IIM, Bangalore, IIM, Shillong, and NLSIU, Bangalore.
- Maximize business and financial value from intellectual property;
Identify, discover and mine potential intellectual property in an organisation;
- Build IP portfolios for business and competitive advantage;
Devise IP strategy, draft IP policy/process and implement IP best practices for business benefit;
- Effectively Protect, Manage, and Commercialize intellectual assets;
- Enable licensing, franchising, and/or merchandizing programs to monetize IP;
- Manage litigation for business benefit and forge strategic alliances and partnerships; and
- Develop and implement programs to help companies generate business driven intellectual property from their employees.
- Information Technology;
- Mechanical / Manufacturing;
- Biosciences, Traditional Medicine and Pharma;
- Entertainment, Sports, Publishing and Media, and Education.
- Ph.D., Patent Law – National Law School of India University, Bangalore;
- Master of Laws in IP, Commerce and Technology, Franklin Pierce Law Center, USA; and
- Bachelor of Laws, Osmania University, Hyderabad.
- Registered Patent and Trademark Agent; and
- Registered Advocate.
BOOKS & PUBLICATIONS
- Published more than fifteen national/international research papers on patent law, Entertainment Law and affiliated subjects; and
- Published several books on intellectual property law, specifically patent law.
- Innovative IP models for business and financial value creation;
- Open Source and commons in contemporary Business environment; and
- Law and business of entertainment.
POSITIONS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Member, Board of Advisors, NISCAIR Journal of IPR, and KSLU Journal of Sports and Entertainment Law;
- Member, Centre of Excellence for IP Rights and Standards, NLSIU; and
- Former Social Member, Animal Ethics Committee, AstraZeneca.
- Founder of The Cane Foundation, Fighting disability in all forms;
- Founder of Invenomics, a division of BananaIP, formed to help clients maximize business value from their IP Assets; and
- Founder of Literators Publishing, an independent publishing house.
HONOURS AND SCHOLARSHIPS
- Gold Medalist, Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology;
- WIPO Scholarship for pursuing LL.M.;
- Tata Scholarship for Higher Education; and
- PVRR Scholarship for Academic Excellence in Bachelor of Laws.
- Enjoys reading Thrillers, History and Philosophy; and
- Writes legal thrillers and short stories as a serious hobby.
Have a Question for Dr. Kalyan?
drop a line!