Senior Partner, Chief IP Attorney
Chief IP Attorney and Senior Partner, BananaIP (BIP) Counsels;
CEO, Invenomics – Merging IP, Creativity and Business Value;
Visiting Faculty, National Law School of India University, Bangalore, and IIMB; and
Author and Novelist.
Dr. Kalyan C. Kankanala is a renowned IP Attorney, Professor and Author from Bangalore, India. Over the years, he has advised and helped many knowledge, technology and creativity driven companies achieve business success from their Intellectual Property Assets. From building revenue generating IP portfolios and creating IP based market share to generating licensing revenues and increasing financial valuation of IP assets, Dr. Kalyan has successfully helped many organisations build substantial value from their Intellectual Property.
Dr. Kalyan’s day to day work as an IP Attorney, consultant and advisor helps him understand IP and business dynamics of organisations at both macro and micro levels. His research, scholarship and teaching at premier educational institutes such as IIMB and NLSIU help him gain invaluable, futuristic insights into progress of law, policy and business. Dr. Kalyan’s writing endeavours provide him the intellectual latitude to think creatively, experiment with novel ideas, and develop innovative IP models.
Over the years, Dr. Kalyan has worked with more than six hundred (600) companies in different sectors. Many of Dr. Kalyan’s clients have made significant IP progress, and are among the IP leaders in their areas of business. Some of his clients include United Nations Industrial Development Organisation (UNIDO), IIMB, Samsung, LG, Bosch, Yash Raj Films, IIT, Madras, IIT, Bombay, BHEL, PEPS Industries, Mahindra and Mahindra, Crompton Greaves, Astra Zeneca, Muniyal Ayurveda, BrandMonk, Dharma Productions and DailyHunt.
Dr. Kalyan is a registered patent and trade mark attorney. He is a visiting faculty at NLSIU, IIMB and IIMS. Dr. Kalyan also holds positions with the Centre of Excellence in IP and Standards, Cane Foundation, and Journals of IPR and Entertainment Law.
Dr. Kalyan is an accomplished author and novelist. Indian Patent Law and Practice (Oxford University Press), Fundamentals of IP (Literators Publishing), IP Client Strategies (Thomson Reuters), and Epidemic (Literators Publishing) are some of his highly referenced works in intellectual property.
Dr. Kalyan Kankanala specializes in helping clients:
- Maximize business and financial value from intellectual property;
- Identify, discover and mine potential intellectual property in an organisation;
- Build IP portfolios for business and competitive advantage;
- Devise IP strategy, draft IP policy/process and implement IP best practices for business benefit;
- Effectively Protect, Manage, and Commercialize intellectual assets;
- Enable licensing, franchising, and/or merchandizing programs to monetize IP;
- Manage litigation for business benefit and forge strategic alliances and partnerships; and
- Develop and implement programs to help companies generate business driven intellectual property from their employees.
Dr. Kalyan Kankanala:
- Has hands on experience in IP services ranging from patent/trademark filings to licensing and dispute resolution for a wide array of clients;
- Worked with Fortune 500 technology/knowledge driven businesses, premier research/educational institutions, SMEs, and also start-ups on a wide range of IP projects;
- Was instrumental in helping many companies move up the IP value chain through IP Audits, Strategic Consulting, Policy/Process Set up, and tailor made IP programs;
- Helped UN organizations develop and implement IP initiatives in Machine Tools, Foundry, and Plastics sectors;
- Contributed to IP legislative/policy making initiatives in India;
- Developed and imparted capacity building/skill building programs for more than twenty thousand corporates;
- Teaches courses on Intellectual Property, Creativity and Business Value at select educational institutions such as IIM, Bangalore, IIM, Shillong, and NLSIU, Bangalore.
Dr. Kalyan works with clients in the following domains:
- Information Technology;
- Biosciences, Traditional Medicine and Pharma;
- Entertainment, Sports, Publishing and Media, and Education.
- Registered Patent and Trademark Agent; and
- Registered Advocate.
- Ph.D., Patent Law – National Law School of India University, Bangalore;
- Master of Laws in IP, Commerce and Technology, Franklin Pierce Law Center, USA; and
- Bachelor of Laws, Osmania University, Hyderabad.
Books & Publications
Dr. Kalyan Kankanala:
- Published more than fifteen national/international research papers on patent law, Entertainment Law and affiliated subjects; and
- Published several books on intellectual property law, specifically patent law.
Some of Dr. Kalyan’s books include:
Fun IP- Fundamentals of Intellectual Property
IP Client Strategies in the Asia-Pacific
Indian Patent Law and Practice
Genetic Patent Law and Strategy
Discovery of Ideas
IP For StartUps
Social Media and IP
Intellectual Property: Of Fact and Fiction
Dr. Kalyan Kankanala’s current research themes include:
- Innovative IP models for business and financial value creation;
- Open Source and commons in contemporary Business environment; and
- Law and business of entertainment.
Positions and Memberships
- Member, Board of Advisors, NISCAIR Journal of IPR, and KSLU Journal of Sports and Entertainment Law;
- Member, Centre of Excellence for IP Rights and Standards, NLSIU; and
- Former social Member, Animal Ethics Committee, AstraZeneca.
- Founder of The Cane Foundation, Fighting disability in all forms;
- Founder of Invenomics, a division of BananaIP, formed to help clients maximize business value from their IP Assets; and
- Founder of Literators Publishing, an independent publishing house.
Honours and Scholarships
- Gold Medalist, Bachelor of Science in Biotechnology;
- WIPO Scholarship for pursuing LL.M.;
- Tata Scholarship for Higher Education; and
- PVRR Scholarship for Academic Excellence in Bachelor of Laws.
- Enjoys reading Thrillers, History and Philosophy; and
- Writes legal thrillers and short stories as a serious hobby.