Senior Partner, Chief IP Attorney
Chief IP Attorney and Senior Partner, BananaIP Counsels (BIP Counsels);
Chief Advisor, Invenomics – Merging IP, Creativity and Business Value;
Visiting Faculty, National Law School of India University, Bangalore, and IIM, Bangalore; and
Author and Novelist.
Dr. Kalyan C. Kankanala is a renowned IP Attorney, Professor and Author from Bangalore, India. Over the years, he has advised and helped many knowledge, technology and creativity driven companies achieve business success from their Intellectual Property. From building revenue generating IP portfolios and creating IP based market share to generating licensing revenues and increasing financial valuation of IP assets, Dr. Kalyan has successfully helped many organisations build substantial value from their Intellectual Property.
Dr. Kalyan’s day to day work as an IP Attorney, consultant and advisor helps him understand IP and business dynamics of an organisation at both macro and micro levels. His research, scholarship and teaching at premier educational institutes such as IIMB and NLSIU help him gain invaluable, futuristic insights into progress of law, policy and business. Dr. Kalyan’s writing endeavours provide him the intellectual latitude to think creatively, experiment with novel ideas, and develop innovative models.
Dr. Kalyan Kankanala specializes in helping clients:
- Maximize business value from intellectual assets;
- Discover and mine inventions, creations and ideas, and build intellectual asset portfolios for business and competitive advantage;
- Devise IP strategy, draft IP policy/process and implement IP best practices for business benefit;
- Effectively Protect, Manage, and Commercialize intellectual assets;
- Enable licensing, franchising and/or merchandising programs;
- Manage litigation for business benefit and forge strategic alliances and partnerships;
- Develop and implement programs to promote creativity and inventive activity among employees.
Dr. Kalyan Kankanala:
- Has hands on experience in IP services ranging from patent/trademark filings to licensing and dispute resolution for a wide array of clients;
- Worked with Fortune 500 technology/knowledge driven businesses, premier research/educational institutions, SMEs, and also start-ups on a wide range of IP projects;
- Was instrumental in helping many companies move up the IP value chain through IP Audits, Strategic Consulting, Policy/Process Set up, and tailor made IP programs;
- Helped UN organizations develop and implement IP initiatives in Machine Tools, Foundry, and Plastics sectors;
- Contributed to IP legislative/policy making initiatives in India;
- Developed and imparted capacity building/skill building programs for more than twenty thousand corporates;
- Teaches courses on Intellectual Property, Creativity and Business Value at select educational institutions such as IIM, Bangalore, and NLSIU, Bangalore.
Dr. Kalyan works with clients in the following domains:
- Information Technology;
- Entertainment, Sports, Publishing and Media; and
Professional Registrations and Affiliations
- Registered as a Patent and Trademark Agent at the Indian Patent and Trade Mark Office;
- Registered as an Advocate-Bar Council of the State of Andhra Pradesh;
- Was social Member, Animal Ethics Committee, Astra Zeneca;
- Founding Trustee, The Cane Foundation, Fighting disability in all forms;
- Member, Board of Advisors, NISCAIR Journal of IPR and KSLU Journal of Sports and Entertainment Law.
- Ph.D., Patent Law – National Law School of India University, Bangalore;
- Master of Law in IP, Commerce and Technology, Franklin Pierce Law Center, USA; and
- Bachelor of Law, Osmania University, Hyderabad.
Books & Publications
Dr. Kalyan Kankanala:
- Published more than fifteen national/international research papers on patent law, Entertainment Law and affiliated subjects; and
- Published several books on intellectual property law, specifically patent law
Some of Dr. Kalyan’s books include:
Fun IP- Fundamentals of Intellectual Property
IP Client Strategies in the Asia-Pacific
Indian Patent Law and Practice
Genetic Patent Law and Strategy
Discovery of Ideas
IP For StartUps
Social Media and IP
Intellectual Property: Of Fact and Fiction
Dr. Kalyan Kankanala’s current research themes include:
- Using Creativity and Intellectual Property as tools for business value creation;
- Role of Open Source and commons in contemporary Business environment; and
- Emerging issues in entertainment Law.
- Founder, Invenomics, A BIP Counsels Division formed to help clients gain business value from their intellectual assets;
- Founder, SiNApSE Blog, leading IP industry tracker – www.sinapseblog.com
- Founder, Literators, an initiative for Independent Authors – www.literators.com
- Novelist: Writes legal thrillers on socially relevant themes – www.kalyankankanala.com
- Enjoys reading Thrillers, History and Philosophy