Women, Patents and Attorneys
“Happy Women’s Day.
We Wish all Women a Very Happy, Inventive and Progressive Year.”
Has patents always been a men’s game?
One study reports that less than twenty percent of patents list women inventors in the US. We mined patent data through very crude methods and arrived at the following, interesting results at the Indian Patent Office.
Women and Patents
A search with the term “Women” in the title section of published patent database yielded fifty results. On a quick perusal, we observed that most of the patents relate to pregnancy, security and women empowerment. Here are some examples of what we found:
1. Title: WOMEN SELF DEFENCE WRIST BAND
Application no: 1529/DEL/2015
2. Title: NUTRITIONAL COMPOSITION FOR PREGNANT WOMEN WITH A BENEFICIAL GLUCOSE AND INSULIN PROFILE
Application no: 3236/DELNP/2015
3. Title: A SOCIAL NETWORKING SYSTEM AND METHOD.FOR PROVIDING EMPOWERMENT SERVICES TO THE WOMEN
Application no: 5129/CHE/2014
It is interesting to note that most women empowerment related patents have been filed by men.
Women Patent Attorneys
The Indian Patent Office’s website lists 1887 patent agents among which over 600 are women. In line with educational preferences, most women patent attorneys/agents in India work in the Biosciences, Electronics and Information Technology fields. Very few women patent agents specialize in manufacturing, mechanical, automotive and other traditional fields.
Leading Women Patent Professionals
We have listed here some patent professionals, whose names appear in different patent forums, and are among the leading patent professionals in India.
- Malathi Lakshmikumaran, Lakshmikumaran & Sridharan
- Mangala Venkatramani, Unilever
- Pratibha Singh, Singh & Singh
- Chitra K Iyer, Philips
- Niti Dewan, R. K Dewan & Co
- Preethi P., Samsung
- Sheetal Chopra, Ericsson
- Rachna Singh Puri, Xellect IP Solutions
- Bindu Sharma, Origiin IP
- Jaya Murthy, Eaton India
- Prof. Padmavati, Rajiv Gandhi School of IP.
- Shery Nair, Tata Elxsi
Note: Please feel free to suggest names we might have missed out. We will be happy to add them to the list.
Women Patent Attorneys at BananaIP
Statistically, about half of patent attorneys at BananaIP happen to be women.
We wish you a very Happy Women’s Day.