The Geographical Indications of Goods (Registration and Protection) Rules, 2002
In the exercise of the powers conferred by sub-section 87 of Geographical Indications of Goods(Registration & Protection)Act,1999 (48 of 1999), the Central Government makes the following rules, namely:
CHAPTER 1 PRELIMINARY
1. Short title and commencement.
3. Principal place of business in India.
4. Appropriate office of the Geographical Indications Registry.
5. Jurisdiction of appropriate office not altered by change in the principal place of business or address for service.
6. Entry of the appropriate office in the Register.
7. Leaving of documents, etc.
8. Documents etc., filed or left not at the appropriate office.
9. Issue of notices, etc:
12. Size, etc of documents.
13. Signing of documents.
14. Service of documents.
15. Particulars of address etc. of applicants and other persons.
16. Statement of principal place of business in India in an application.
17. Address for service.
18. Address for service in application and opposition proceedings.
19. Non-availability of an address for service.
21. Classification of goods.
22. Request to Registrar for search.
CHAPTER II PROCEDURE FOR REGISTRATION OF GEOGRAPHICAL INDICATIONS
23. Form and signing of application.
24. Application under convention arrangement.
25. Statement of user in applications.
26. Representation of Geographical Indication.
27. Additional representations.
28. Representations to be durable and satisfactory.
29. Transliteration and translation .
30. Name or description of goods on a Geographical Indication.
32. Content of application.
33. Examination of application.
34. Objection to acceptance-Hearing.
35. Decision of Registrar.
36. Correction and amendment of application.
37. Withdrawal of acceptance by the Registrar.
38. Manner of Advertisement.
39. Notification of correction or amendment of application.
40. Request to Registrar for particulars of advertisement of a Geographical Indication.
41. Notice of Opposition.
42. Verification of Notice of Opposition
44. Evidence in support of opposition by the opponents.
45. Evidence in support of application by the applicant.
46. Evidence in reply by opponent.
47. Further evidence.
49. Translation of documents.
50. Hearing and decision.
51. Security for costs.
52. Procedure for giving notice.
53. Entry in the Register.
54. Death of applicant before registration.
55. Certificate of registration.
CHAPTER III AUTHORISED USER
56. Authorised User.
57. Section (57)
58. Section (58)
59. Registration of an authorised user entry in the Register.
CHAPTER IV RENEWAL OF REGISTRATION AND RESTORATION
60. Renewal of registration.
61. Notice before removal of Geographical Indication or authorised user from register.
62. Advertisement of removal of geographical indication or the authorised user from the register.-
63. Restoration and renewal of registration.
64. Notice and advertisement of renewal and restoration.
CHAPTER V RECTIFICATION AND CORRECTION OF REGISTER & ALTERATION OR RECTIFICATION OF REGISTER
65. Application to rectify or remove a geographical indication from the register.
66. Further procedure.
67. Intervention by third parties.
68. Rectification of the register by the Registrar of his own motion.
69. Alteration of address in register.
70. Application under Section 28.
71. Alteration of registered Geographical Indication.
72. Advertisement before decision and opposition etc .
73. Decision – Advertisement – Notification.
CHAPTER VI Special Provisions relating to Trade Marks
74. Refusal or Invalidation of Registration of TradeMarks .
75. Refusal or Invalidation of Registered Trade Mark Conflicting with a geographical indication notified under Section 22(2).
76. Publication of refusal or invalidation of Geographical indications.
CHAPTER VII PROCEDURE RELATING TO ADDITIONAL PROTECTION TO CERTAIN GOODS UNDER SECTION 22(2) OF GEOGRAPHICAL INDICATIONS OF GOODS (REGISTRATION AND PROTECTION) ACT, 1999
77. Additional protection to certain goods.
78. Section (78)
79. Consideration by the Registrar
80. Hearing before refusing an application.
81. Entry in the Register.
CHAPTER VIII MISCELLANEOUS
82. Section (82)
83. Extension of time.
84. Exercise of discretionary power of Registrar.
85. Notification of decision.
86. Amendments and correction of irregularity in procedure.
87. Directions not otherwise prescribed.
89. Costs in uncontested cases.
90. Exception to rule 89.
91. Scale of costs.
92. Application for review of Registrar’s decision.
93. Form, etc. of Affidavits.
94. Inspection of documents.
95. Distribution of copies of Journal and other documents.
96. Certified copies of documents.
97. Certificate for use in obtaining registration abroad.
98. Time for appeal.
99. Certificate of validity to be noted.
100. Return of exhibits.
101. Destruction of records.
REGISTRATION OF GEOGRAPHICAL INDICATIONS AGENT
102. Register of Geographical Indications Agent.
103. Registration of existing registered trade marks agent.
104. Qualifications for registration.
105. Persons debarred from registration.
106. Manner of making application.
107. Application for registration as a geographical indications agent.
108. Procedure on application and qualifying requirements.
109. Certificate of registration.
110. Continuance of a name in the Register of Geographical Indications Agents.
111. Removal of agent’s name from the Register of Geographical Indications Agents.
112. Power of Registrar to refuse to deal with certain agents.
113. Restoration of removed names.
114. Alteration in the Register of Geographical Indications Agents.
115. Publication of the Register of Geographical Indications Agents.