CHAPTER IV: FUNCTIONS AND POWERS OF THE NATIONAL BIODIVERSITY AUTHORITY
18. Functions and powers of National Biodiversity Authority—
(1) It shall be the duty of the
National Biodiversity Authority to regulate activities referred to in sections 3, 4 and 6 and by regulations
issue guidelines for access to biological resources and for fair and equitable benefit sharing.
(2) The National Biodiversity Authority may grant approval for undertaking any activity referred to in
sections 3, 4 and 6.
(3) The National Biodiversity Authority may—
(a) advise the Central Government on matters relating to the conservation of biodiversity,
sustainable use of its components and equitable sharing of benefits arising out of the utilisation of
(b) advise the State Governments in the selection of areas of biodiversity importance to be
notified under sub-section (1) of section 37 as heritage sites and measures for the management of
such heritage sites;
(c) perform such other functions as may be necessary to carry out the provisions of this Act.
(4) The National Biodiversity Authority may, on behalf of the Central Government, take any
measures necessary to oppose the grant of intellectual property rights in any country outside India on any
biological resource obtained from India or knowledge associated with such biological resource which is
derived from India.