THE PATENTS RULES, 2003
[As amended by the Patents (2nd Amendment) Rules, 2020]
CHAPTER 8 – GRANT OF PATENTS
73.[Omitted by Patents (Amendment) Rules, 2005]
74.Form of patent.—
(1) A patent shall be in the form as specified in the Third Schedule with such modifications as the circumstances of each case may require and shall bear the number accorded to the application under rule 37.
(2) The patent certificate shall ordinarily be issued within seven days from the date of grant of patent under section 43.
74A. Inspection of documents related to grant of patent. — After the date of publication of a grant of a patent, the application together with the complete specification and provisional specification, if any, the drawing if any, abstract and other documents related thereto may be inspected at the appropriate office by making a written request to the Controller and on payment of fee and may obtain copies on payment of fee specified in the First Schedule.
75.Amendment of patent under section 44. —
An application under section 44 for the amendment of a patent shall be made in Form 10 along with substantiating evidence and be accompanied by the patent.
76.Manner of applying for direction under section 51(1). —
(1)An application for directions under sub-section (1) of section 51 shall be made in Form 11 and shall be accompanied by a statement setting out the facts upon which the applicant relies.
(2) A copy of the application and of the statement shall be sent by the Controller to every other person registered as grantee or proprietor of the patent.
77.Manner of application under section 51(2). —
(1) An application for directions under subsection (2) of section 51 shall be made in Form 11 and shall be accompanied by a statement setting out the facts upon which the applicant relies.
(2) A copy of the application and statement shall be sent by the Controller to the person in default.
78.Procedure for the hearing of proceedings under section 51.—
The procedure specified in rules 55A and 57 to 63 relating to the filing of notice of opposition, written statement, reply statement, leaving evidence, hearing and costs shall, so far as may be, apply to the hearing of an application under section 51 as they apply to the hearing of an opposition proceeding.
79.Request under section 52(2).—
(1) A request under sub-section (2) of section 52 shall be made in Form 12 within three months from the date of the order of the Appellate Board or court referred to in sub-section (1) of the said section and shall be accompanied by a statement setting out the facts upon which the petitioner relies and the relief he claims and a certified copy of the order of the Appellate Board or court.
(2) Where the Appellate Board or court has ordered the grant of patent to the applicant only for a part of the invention, the new patent granted shall be accorded a number in the same series of numbers accorded to the complete specifications accepted on the same day as the patent is granted.
80.Renewal fees under section 53.—
(1) To keep a patent in force, the renewal fees specified in the First Schedule shall be payable at the expiration of the second year from the date of the patent or of any succeeding year and the same shall be remitted to the patent office before the expiration of the second or the succeeding year.
(1A) The period for payment of renewal fees so specified in sub-rule (1) may be extended to such period not being more than six months if the request for such extension of time is made in Form 4 with the fee specified in the First Schedule.
(2)While paying the renewal fee, the number and date of the patent concerned and the year in respect of which the fee is paid shall be quoted.
(3)The annual renewal fees payable in respect of two or more years may be paid in advance.
(4)The Controller shall, after making such enquiry as he may deem necessary, credit any renewal fee and issue a certificate that the fee has been paid.