The Office of Controller General of Patents and Trademarks in collaboration with the Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) will be conferring the National Intellectual Property (IP) Awards on the 26th April 2017, coinciding with the World IP day. The National IP awards are conferred each year on individuals and enterprises who have achieved something great in the field of IPRs in terms of creation and commercialization of IP. The awards will be presented this year to the awardees at an event to be organized in Delhi.
Ten categories have been identified to be included in the National Intellectual Property Awards programme 2017:
- Top Individual for Patents & Commercialization
- Top Indian Academic institution for Patents & Commercialization
- Top R & D Institution/Organization for Patents & Commercialization
- Top Public Limited Company/Private Limited Company for Patents & Commercialization in India:
- 4(a) Indian owned company
- 4(b) MNC/Foreign owned company
- Top Indian MSME for Patents & Commercialization:
- Top Start-up for IP Commercialization
- Top Indian Company/Organization for Designs and Commercialization
- Top Indian Company for creating Global Brand (s)
- Top Individual/organization for Best facilitation of Registration of GI and Promotion of Registered GI in India.
- Best Police Unit (Police District/Zone in a commissionarate) for Enforcement of IP in the Country.
Each award winner will be presented with a cash prize of Rs. 1 Lakh and a citation.
The World Intellectual Property Organization (WIPO) under the WIPO Awards Program has also proposed to link three awards to appropriate categories of National IP Awards 2017. The WIPO awards are as follows:
- WIPO Medal for Inventors – Top Individual for Patents & Commercialization
- WIPO IP Enterprises Trophy – Top Indian Public Limited Company/ Private Limited Company
- WIPO Users Trophy – Top Indian Company for creating Global brand
For the purpose of National IP Awards 2017, the performance in the last 3 calendar years i.e. 2014-2016 will be taken into consideration. The following parameters will be considered for selection:
- Number of IPRs filed/granted/registered.
- Growth in IPR portfolio in the last three calendar years.
- Leveraging of IPRs for achieving commercial goals (manufacturing, licensing, launching of new products/processes associated with granted/registered IPRs marketing / export etc.)
- For enforcement of IPR by police, actions such as IPR- related FIR filed, raids/seizures made, and charge-sheets filed for IP infringements.
- In case of Top Indian Company for creating Global Brand(s), brand value, turnover outside India under the brand where it has worked, number of such global brands and global acceptance will be the parameters for the award.
To be eligible for an award, an applicant must be either an Individual or Legal Entity (including MSME, Startups, major industries, firms and societies registered in India, Indian subsidiary of a transnational corporation, Indian Academic institutions and R&D institutions, etc.) The detailed eligibility criteria can be retrieved from Here.
A jury comprising IP professionals, Industry Association, Academia, R&D professionals, Representative(s) of the Government of India will be selecting the awardees and each award carry a cash prize of Rs. 1,00,000/- and citation.
To download the application form, please click Here. Eligible applicants will have to file the Part- I of the Application Form compulsorily. Other parts i.e. Part II to VII & details in excel sheet may be filled as applicable, depending upon the categories in which an application for award is made.
- The awardees of the National Intellectual Property Awards 2015 & 2016 in the particular category are not eligible for the award in 2017 in that category.
- WIPO awards will be conferred upon the awardees selected in the respective categories of National IP Awards 2017. Hence, separate application/s for the WIPO Awards is not required.
- Application (with annexures) is required to be submitted both in electronic and physical format.
- Prescribed excel sheet (attachment with application form) may be sent by e-mail (soft copy) only.
- The soft copies are sent by email to firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com and must have “National IP Awards 2017” as the subject line
- The application along with the applicable annexure, supporting documents and an envelope containing the application must be subscribed with “National IP Awards 2017” shall be sent to the following address:
- Office of the Controller General of Patents, Designs and Trademarks
- Boudhik Sampada Bhawan
- S M Road, Antop Hill,
- The last date for submission of hard copy with the applicable annexure and supporting documents: 25th February 2017.
- The last date for receiving soft copy: 25th February 2017.
Authored and annotated by Anjali Santosh.